Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 1- Day 10

Turn Day!!

Went to see Dr. D for my first official follow up. My bandages were changed and my foot was cleaned up (didn't hurt, just felt extremely weird because that area is still so sensitive). He said my toe looked good and was a little redder than he liked it to be so I am still to continue taking my antibiotics.

It was time to turn. I am to do 4 half turns every day for what he believes should take up to 3 weeks. One in the morning, two at lunch, and one at night. After that, it will take about 4 weeks (or more depending on my body) for the bone to fully heal before fixator removal time. The turns didn't hurt at all. I was also given a bone simulator which I am to wear for up to 8-10 hours every day. I was advised to wear it while I sleep since its the surest way for me to have it on for such a long period of time. If my time permits, I also wear it at work while at my desk (as shown below).
I am on my 4th day of turning now. Dr. D said I won't see much progress during my first week, but will definitely see a change during my 2nd. He applied alcohol and a purple cream which I assume is some sort of topical cream to help heal my toe. In my opinion, I already see a great difference.






As you can see above, my ankle is still a bit swollen from the bone graph taken out to begin the process of the turning on my 4th metatarsal. It doesn't hurt, again just swells up from time to time which Dr. D said is fine. 

Adjusting to the handicap life has been the hardest part for me really. I am extremely stubborn and hate depending on others, and this process has forced me to basically take a chill pill and sit back while others help me around. It's very frustrating to say the least, but I've been blessed to be surrounded by amazing people who do not hesitate to lend a helping hand. 

Driving hasn't been a problem being that I still have the use of my right foot. I will say that if I drive for too long, my foot tends to get aggravated and begins to swell. That's typically the case for anytime I leave it down for two long. I have to try and keep it elevated any chance I get. I guess the blood flows better that way. 

Occasionally, I get a sharp shooting pain up my toe and around the area where the fixator resides. I am not sure if that's normal and it seems to occur most often right after I turn my device. I'll have to ask Dr. D if this is a case for concern or just my body adjusting to my cranking. 

My 2nd follow up is in 3 days. I still haven't been able to bear weight on it although my doctor has suggested I try. It still feels too weird and once I press down too hard I feel the device and it freaks me out. I get a small introduction to some pain and immediately stop. Baby steps I guess, literally.


No comments:

Post a Comment