Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Week 1- Day 8

Feeling a lot better now.

I caught a small infection over the weekend which the doctor said is very common. He quickly prescribed me antibiotics, which I took immediately, and within 24 hours the discomfort and infection began to go away.

I noticed that my toe was turning a little too red, and the front of my toe was too. It was also a little TOO numb and my foot kept getting swollen to the point where I could feel my heart beating through it. Below are photos of when I first noticed the infection (warning: not for weak eyes)



It has been 3 days since I noticed the infection. The antibiotics had some small side affects which were pretty annoying (dizziness, weakness, nausea), but overall it was nothing I couldn't handle. 

Please notice how I refrain from using the word pain throughout this blog. I want to make sure those going through this experience (or at least are looking into it) don't immediately observe this process as the worst thing ever. If I use the word pain, it's because I truly mean it. Otherwise, if it's tolerable, I just use the word discomfort. 

I took these photos of my foot today. The redness has clearly minimized a great deal. I feel zero pain. At this point, I just get the occasional tingling (like when your foot falls asleep). I am also finding discomfort and some quite annoying tugging feeling from what I assume is my skin healing around the fixator. I keep feeling pinching and it startles me. I hope that once my doctor removes the stitches, this won't be such an issue anymore. 



When I took these photos, the #1 thing I noticed aside from the progress of the infection going away, was that I can finally see all 5 of my toes. Usually, when looking down, I see 4 toes with my mindset knowing the 5th was down there somewhere hanging out. Now, all 5 look right at me. Its a bit odd I must admit, since I am so used to seeing my unique feet, having them normal is a bit overwhelming. In a good way :)

My doctor said I was OK to return to work this week. I work a desk job but I hold a pretty important position at my office, so being out for such a long period of time isn't really on my agenda. It's been challenging getting around in the car driving and with crutches, but I am doing it. I come home INCREDIBLY EXHAUSTED, but I am doing it. I just make sure to keep my foot elevated whenever I can to avoid any unwanted swelling. 

I am super anxious about my followup visit this Thursday. Not only does my poor unwashed foot finally get cleaned up, but my stitches will be removed, crutches will be taken away (time to start bearing weight on my heel!), and most importantly WE BEGIN TURNING!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment